Epidemiological study of scorpionism in the hospitals of Ahvaz, sw Iran, 2nd six months of 2006

AUTHORS

Babak Vazirianzadeh 1 , Reza Haji Hossein 2 , Banafshe Amri 3 , Saeid Bageri 4 , Seyedeh Maryam Molaei 5

1 Department of Medical Entomology, School of health, Ahvaz Jundishapour University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, IR Iran

2 Medical Parasitologist, school of medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapour university of medical sciences, Ahvaz, IR Iran

3 Medical Parasitologist, school of medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapour university of medical sciences, Ahvaz, IR Iran

4 Health Praticiener of health center, Dezfoul, IR Iran

5 Health Praticiener of health center, Dezfoul, IR Iran

Warning: No corresponding author defined!

How to Cite: Vazirianzadeh B, Haji Hossein R, Amri B, Bageri S, Maryam Molaei S. Epidemiological study of scorpionism in the hospitals of Ahvaz, sw Iran, 2nd six months of 2006, Jundishapur J Health Sci. Online ahead of Print ; 2(1):16-25.

ARTICLE INFORMATION

Jundishapur Journal of Health Sciences: 2 (1); 16-25
Published Online: March 20, 2010
Article Type: Research Article

Crossmark

CHEKING

READ FULL TEXT
Abstract

Scorpion sting is an important health problem in some regions of Iran especially in Khozestan, south-west of . In the current study the data of scorpion stings was studied from the points of epidemiological aspects in 2006.

This research was a prospective study. Epidemiologic characters of 300 people with scorpion sting sufferings who referred to Abouzar and Razi hospitals of Ahwaz, in the 2nd six months of 2006 were recorded and described. The records were included: sex, ages, jobs and site of sting in the body of patients besides of species of scorpions, months of scorpion stings and place of the sting events (rural/urban areas).

The results of this study shows that 50.3% of scorpion stung patients were males and the rest were females (49.7%), totally. The distribution rate of ages shows that 91.1% rate of scorpion stings were happened among under 51 year old people. Data collected in this study revealed that the highest incidence of scorpion sting cases were taken place in the months of hot weather (June- August). The tree most abundant species were: Hemiscorpius leptorus, Androctonus crassicauda and Mesobothus eupeus in the current study.

Therefore, it is concluded that the pattern of scorpionism in Khozestan is similar to the 10 years ago from point of epidemiologic study. Scorpionism will be dissolved by using environmental and educational approaches only.

Keywords

scorpion sting epidemiology Khuzestan Abouzar and Razi hospitals of Ahwaz

© 2010, Jundishapur Journal of Health Sciences. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/) which permits copy and redistribute the material just in noncommercial usages, provided the original work is properly cited.

Full Text

Full text is available in PDF

COMMENTS

LEAVE A COMMENT HERE: